Cornify

Sunday, January 18, 2009

San Francisco, Marshall Scotty's, and other things

The past few days have been interesting.

Since I have tried and failed to write my thoughts out in a cohesive manner, here is a bulleted list of stuff:

- Last weekend I drove up to San Francisco with my mom.
We drove my grandpa's new Mercedes Benz convertible which was insane and rather swanky. We stayed at my Aunt's new house in Oakland. It was really awesome. I wanted to stay there forever. My mom and I are pretty different, but it was still really fun spending all of that time with her.

- We went to the Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA)
This made me think a lot about art (obviously). It made me realize that I like seeing art in life and not just in a museum. It's not that museum art isn't amazing, it's just not as good as life-art.
As an artist, I find this encouraging.
I could write an entire post about this, but, let me just say that there were a few things in the museum that puzzled me. One was a small room full of sand.
What is the purpose of this? Is sand really art? Is it only art if you put it in a small room a certain way? or is it art when it's at the beach or on a playground or in your shoes or in your pants?
I like to think it's all of those.
I think life is just better when everything becomes art.
I think God is an artist and that he made stuff as his art. Art with a purpose, of course. But, well, we don't have to live our lives in a museum is what I'm trying to say, I think.
Sorry if I lost you there.
Anyway:

- I discovered this place that I used to frequent as a child called "Marshall Scotty's Playland" in east county. It is a small amusement park with a several traditional fair-type rides, and I'm pretty sure I had a few birthdays at as a child.
It has since been abandoned, and is broken down and very overgrown.
So, naturally, I went there with my friends.
It was really cool.
Then we got attacked by a dog.
Thankfully, No one was hurt.
Pretty much, we went in the park, walked around, marveled at the old abandoned rides like the bumper cars and the go-kart track, and then I pointed towards the tree-infested Ferris wheel, and as we walked towards it in near-total darkness, we heard a loud voracious bark very near to us. Courtney and Ian ran away faster than I thought possible, and were over the fence in about a second. Kenny and I were right near the dog and I yelled to hold still and not to run so that it couldn't chase us. It didn't. Which was nice.
I learned that on a scale ranging from Flight to Fight instincts, my friends would be placed: Ian, Courtney, Will, Me, Kenny. (Ian being the flightiest and kenny being the fightiest)
The whole experience was a huge rush and was amazing, but I'll probably never go back there again. :)

- Thursday, this guy at my work whom I hardly know asked me to see a movie with him... which you intelligent air particles would understand to be a date. I didn't get that at first. I just wanted to see a movie. But I guess it was a date. It was a lame date. It was a cool movie, but I really don't want to date anyone right now. I really need to communicate this clearly next time.
And no, Eric, I did not find Gran Torino cry-worthy. I'm sorry. Also, Crash is better.

- Friday morning I randomly threw up and I don't know why. I haven't done that in a while. Since before my senior year of high school, actually. Throwing up is kind of a fear of mine. But, well, I guess it's just one of those things. I think I'm slightly more OK with it each time that it happens to me. Not that I ever want it to happen to me again.

- Saturday (yesterday) I had a weird day. I was at work and then I got a pretty bad headache, so I went behind the register and stood there for a moment and took a drink of water, and then remembered I'm not supposed to just stand around drinking water, so I went back to organizing stuff. Well, then a few hours later my manager came to me and said he saw me standing behind the register doing nothing and that I shouldn't be doing that, because that's rather lazy of me, and so I got written up for it. It sucked. I didn't argue, I just said sorry and that I understand.
And then when I left his office I cried quietly to myself. I don't even know what to say about that. That's just the way it is.

- But! After work I went to A-ron and David's birthday party and it pretty much reconciled every lame thing that happened to me so far this whole year because it was so much freaking fun.
Happy birthday A-ron!

- Also this week, I realized something that I hadn't before, I rediscovered something wonderful that I can't believe I forgot about, and I made a very unusual but hopefully wise decision. We'll see how it plays out.

- Wednesday I have my audition for the Grossmont Symphony Orchestra and I'm really excited and nervous and will spend the next few days practicing.

- There are many things still left unsaid.

Sorry about the length of this and my lame posting format.
I'll get better at this.

God willing, we'll all get better.

8 comments:

Alison Anderberg said...

Aww, I went to Marshall Scotty's as a kid, it was so fun!

Maya said...

Agreed. Looking up at the sky during twilight is infinitely better than anything you can find in a museum.

Are you going back to violin?!

Anonymous said...

its because you are lacking a heart... a normal person would have shed a tear. grrrr....

A-ron said...

I'll comment in bullet form:

-I like your thoughts about art, you should discuss them further some time

-I loved Marshall Scotty's as a kid. I think that dog is actually the reincarnated ghost of the old man who once owned the property before they kicked him out to build the amusement park, he now haunts the place and frightens people who sneak in.

-If you liked Crash you should see 10 Conversations About One Thing. Crash actually stole it's ideas from that movie, plus 10CAOT is cleaner.

-I'm glad mine and David's party was able to amend all the previous lameness of the day. I think that's what parties are supposed to do.

Kenny said...

haha! I'm the fightiest.

I might not have been so fight-y if I had not have had that very heavy and very blunt flashlight in my hand though. XD

Heather said...

I'm so jealous you went back to Scottie's without me! I mean, I was there when the avocado sign was first discovered... hehe

Bulleted points are fun...I mean, it saves you from having to think of wacky transitions(like my lame 'hehe' from the lines above to these ones)...or just saying, "I am transitioning subjects now.."

Anyways, obviously I found your newish blog. I'm glad you're keeping up with it. I'm sorry work was a beasty...but glad you could come to the parrrttaayyy. :)

Morgan Miller said...

Maya, yep I'm back to the violin.

Aaron,

- That sounds like a good movie. I'll try to see it.

- Also I think the old man moved back onto the property and then bought a mean dog to keep people out.

- Fishbowl is the greatest game ever invented. I'd play it any day.

Let's all make a petition to bring back Marshall Scotty's!

Cassandra said...

The incident with the dog sounds highly amusing. ^^ I'm sorry you got written up at work, that's really lame. :(