Cornify

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Camus




This is an old plague that my great-grandmother used to have in her house.
I got it after she died in 2006.
The interesting thing is, I didn't even know who "Camus" was until that year, when I read his book for Mr. Graber's AP Lit class. (I heard on the news that pres. Bush read that same book "The Stranger" at the same time that I did... random fact.)
I learned that Albert Camus is a very strange man indeed. And my whole life I grew up only knowing of him because of this saying on a plaque.
Maybe I feel a little differently about the saying now, knowing about who Camus is, but mostly, I just read this quote again and thought that it was wonderful and needed to be shared.

3 comments:

Alicia147 said...

Camus is definitely an interesting character. I like this quote, but for some reason I wouldn't expect it to be something that Camus said. I'm not exactly sure why though.

[Side note: I read The Stranger at the same time too! I guess I have that in common with you and Bush? haha]

Morgan Miller said...

Yeah! That's what I mean, I thought my whole life that Camus was just some nice quote-sayer, but then when I finally learned about who he was, I wouldn't really have expected him to say something like this.

And random side notes are great!
What did you think of the book?
I honestly thought it was pretty disturbing... but it has been a few years.

Alicia147 said...

Haha I agree!

About the book, I couldn't really connect with it. I guess that was the point though with Meursault's emotionally detached attitude. The fact that he was so disconnected from his emotions, his actions, and the people around him was such a foreign idea to me. I didn't really understand it. So yeah, in a sense, it was pretty disturbing!