Cornify

Thursday, February 26, 2009

animal collective has eaten me alive

oh my goodness.

The past few days while I was staying at my grandma's house, I started listening to animal collective a lot, and then suddenly I discovered that I was taken over by their music.
It seems silly, but I really have not discovered anything so strange and beautiful and unique and creative and grotesque and fun and weird and funny and sexy all at once like this.

The best part is that, for a very long time, I just thought that their music was "weird." Like, creative, sure; but also too trippy and strange and lacking some essential substance. But what I have now discovered is that the musics is real. Lyrically, it's honest and romantic and poetic and has a lot of depth.
Some of it still sounds like weird stoner music, sure. But it's good. I like it.

I had planned to just paste a bunch of lyrics from a bunch of their songs right here. But there are way too many that I love.
There are so many that I find amazing or that apply to my life right now. Or that I just find amazing in general. But a lot of them are odd or oddly specific, and you will most likely be left wondering about their context.
For now, I will leave you with just one.

In The Flowers:

Then we could be dancing
No more missing you while I'm gone.
There we could be dancing
And you'd smile and say, "I like this song"
And when our eyes will meet there
We will recognize nothing's wrong
And I wouldn't feel so selfish
I won't be this way very long





So, yes. Animal Collective.

Maybe I should quit them.
Maybe I should take a break.
But it's hard.
For I have already been devoured.

Please, don't listen to them.

In other news:
There's lots of other news.
I went to Belmont park and La Jolla shores with my teacher today (Wednesday) to record things with a $10,000 microphone and it was very fun.
I also have a lot of fun plans this weekend. I'm excited!
And no, they don't even include Disneyland. Sorry, Chris.

1 comments:

Courtney said...

i don't think they are wierd stoner music, i actually think a stoner would get really paranoid and freak out at their music....

i think they are just "indie".. as far as genres go....

AND LOOK AT THE TIME OF THIS BLOG!!! FREAKY!
:D