Cornify

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Left 4 Dead

I had a really fun weekend. Today I went on a picnic on Coronado with Heather, Larissa, A-ron and Nicolie. It was great.
An interesting thing I noticed is that many of my discussions I had with people somehow ended up revolving around zombies... and when I spoke to A-ron, specifically the game Left 4 Dead.
He has played it a lot at his work, and over the past month or so, I have also played it way too much.

I freaking love this game. It is amazing.
And it is essentially just a horrifically violent game where you a survivor during a zombie apocalypse, and you have to kill zombies.

Ok, so why am I blogging about a gross video game? Well, there are a lot of reasons, one being that I used to be horrified of zombies, but I am no longer. But the biggest reason is because of an important spiritual metaphor that a friend of mine has shown me about this game.

He said that the zombies in the game are a lot like sin in our lives. And sin of course is missing the mark of perfection and straying away from the intended path for our lives.
And this was a great parallel! Because in the game, the zombies just keep coming and coming and the only way you can fight them is to constantly be on your guard.
And also, it emphasizes the necessity of community and teamwork.
For it is impossible to save yourself if you are pinned by a hunter or a witch or a tank or even just a hoard of zombies. You need to rely on help from other people!
And that is what Christianity is, and what life is: the continual reliance upon God and other people. No man is an island.
If you think you can do it on your own, you are probably dead or dying.

Another thing that Heather pointed out: People sometimes say that it is so hard to overcome sin, but really, if you focus on God, it isn't hard!
Because zombies will never sneak up on you. They can't. They are always screaming or making gross noises, so you can always tell when they are coming. Sometimes they catch you off guard, but they aren't really that sneaky.

I think that's as far as I feel like taking the metaphor right now. You can take it further if you like. I would love to give credit to the bright individual who first showed me this zombie/sin parallel, but I'm afraid that right now that is impossible.

Anyway, happy zombie killing everyone!

6 comments:

Cassandra said...

Only you would compare video game zombie slaughter to overcoming sin. ^^

Also: http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/zombie

Anonymous said...

so, when bill shot himself in the face, that was like when God took Enoch and Elijah up to heaven? or am i missing the point?

Heather said...

SOME KIND OF ZOMBIE
:Audio Adrenaline

I must have been confused or vain
To let this evil in my brain.
Lord did I enjoy the change
That you made inside my heart?
Oh here they come
I'm not afraid
There's no temptation I cant evade.
Stand up straight
Look through the haze
I begin to walk through the maze
Here they come
They're all up on me
But I'm dead to sin like
Some kind of zombie.
I hear you speak and I obey
Some kind of zombie
I walked away from the grave
Some kind of zombie
I will never be afraid
Some kind of zombie
I gave my life away.
I'm obliged and obey
I'm enslaved to what you say.

Morgan Miller said...

Cassandra, I didn't actually come up with this metaphor, I just embraced it. ;)

Eric, I don't really know... but Bill never shoots himself in the head in the actual game.

And Heather! That's amazing!
I must have really misinterpreted that song when I was younger, because I didn't get that it was the same sort of thing.

Audio Adrenaline rocks, even if they are now dead...

^_^

Also, I have a 55% chance of surviving a Zombie Apocalypse. yay.

A-ron said...

Yes, yesssss!
Oh, (cough) sorry. Zombies make me giddy. Anyhow, it really is a great, applicable, and downright awesome analogy, you should also tie in the Safe House somehow.

In related news I just met some of the people that made L4D and I got a free L4D mouse pad and T-shirt. So sweet!

Also, why no hyperlink to my blog like you did with Heather? Not a big deal really, I'm only minutely jealous ;)

A-ron said...

Wait, I take that last comment back. I guess it just didn't show up in my RSS viewer. Happy hunting.